Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

10.17.2010

Autumn: A Time for Rest, Rejuvenation and Rebirth

You may think at first, doesn’t she mean spring?  It would seem as if at least two of these words reflect spring and not autumn.  But think more about autumn.  Yes, it is a time when the growing season is winding down and the sun starts to set earlier.   But it is also a time of planting seeds, bulbs and plants.  It’s a time for gardeners to clean up and ready the earth for new plants.  It is a time for some plants to take their nap until spring to rest and rejuvenate and rest for renewed growth in the next year. 

Just like people and animals have to sleep at night in order to be refreshed in the morning and recharge our cells, so do plants.  In a sense, their long sleep is the same as our own.  Autumn is the perfect time to plant tulips, which grace the garden with their delicate beauty in spring.

So instead of looking at autumn as the end of something, I like to look at it as the beginning.  It is a favorite season for me in many ways.  Although spring is spectacular for sudden growth, autumn is spectacular for its burst of color.  There is nothing quite as gorgeous as a grove of trees in the midst of high color.  There are multiple shades of reds, oranges, burgundies, and yellows.  Even the grass responds with a last show of rich, healthy green. 

On a sunny autumn day the light casts new shadows and is dappled through trees that have lost most of their leaves.  I love when people plant mums, asters and other plants that bloom as the weather gets colder.  Everything looks special, sort of magical and fresh; see I got back to rebirth!    

As the weather gets colder, I love to take long walks and come back to drink a warm mug of tea.   In the summer I walk in the morning, before it gets too hot.  In the autumn, I can walk at any time of day. 

For a meditative experience, a comfortable day that’s not too hot, windy, cold or rainy is a great for meditative walking.  Then you just keep your thoughts on the sound of your footsteps; and in the autumn the crunch of the leaves.   It is almost like a form of rest.  You stop thinking and rest the chatter in your mind. 

The autumn weather has been perfectly wonderful lately and even if I may be tired, it compels me to go out and walk.  I feel revitalized after a walk.  Something I discovered  several years ago, is that regular exercise decreases allergic reactions. 

I did some research and found that exercise helps to release your body’s own ability to defend itself and makes your immune system stronger.  It also helps your allergy medications work well.   As a bonus, it even helps to reduce asthma over time.  So does the yogic breathing when practiced everyday.  I don’t have to use my inhaler, even when I walk uphill.   

Discuss walking first with your doctor and then try it out.  You may find your own love of walking on a beautiful autumn day.  Or any day!