Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

5.18.2011

Helper's? in the Garden




Spring is natures reminder that it's time to put your things in order and recruit your friends and family to help you with the cleanup!   Here is my mid spring garden clean up and my helper in a corner of the garden.

However, my husband got a little too vigorous in helping and even pulled up a tiny rose I had planted last year.  I couldn't find it in the debris in the bags we put out for collection.   I was a little upset for a minute, but he worked so hard I couldn't possibly be angry.   I rooted that rose from a cutting and I can always root another.  Next time, I'm going to mark it with a red ribbon or a flag or something and put a note on it that says, "I am not a weed, don't pull me out!"  I wondered how he didn't notice it was a tiny rose.   I mean after all, it had thorns on it!  You know, I have over a dozen roses, so it's not like he's never seen any roses before!  But when you have helpers, sometimes it's better to suffer in silence and be grateful for all of their help.  But if they start ripping plants up by the armful, then it's time to kick them to the curb!

It's actually the first year he's helped me so much.   I normally do most of the clean up, because I like to do it myself and get it done early in the season.   But the mold season has been very long and much worse than in previous years.   By doing less outside though, I haven't gotten a sinus infection because of all of the wet earth.   Yeah!   Knock on wood, or a tree...!

You can see the bones of the garden and the few flowers that were growing.  Just a mere two weeks later and a lot more has bloomed and already gone. The leaves are coming out everywhere.  It is a veritable explosion of green!   I'll post more later.  You won't even recognize that it's the same corner!