Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

5.11.2011

Being Creative

I've read articles and often heard people on television give advice about finding what you love and pursuing it.  That sounds all well and good, but in the current economy it's hard to do some of the things one might love as a vocation.  So I say, why not just do something just to please yourself?  Don't worry about making money or being successful, think about just making yourself happy with expressing your true inner self.  

Creativity is very important.  It is a bridge to your inner child and can brighten an ordinary or bad day.  Now when I go walking without my camera I think, "Now, why the heck didn't I bring it?"  That could have been a great picture."  Painters and photographers see things with a different view.  When I walk around with my camera I see the interesting in the ordinary.  It makes me feel like I had a special moment.  It also helps me to relive the moment with the picture.  In yoga they often stress being in the moment.  When you capture that moment, you have it forever.  

I try to do that here in my blog, even if I can't work on it every day.    I'm creative in my garden and in my house.  I've been taking pictures for years, but really didn't share many of them.  I don't need to spend much money.  If you visited my home, you would find lots of photos throughout my house of things I find interesting; plants, flowers, animals and places I've visited.  You wouldn't see many pictures of people.  Most people want to pose for pictures.  It's hard to get them to stop.  Sometimes I try to catch them unaware.  I like the realness of life.  Almost everywhere I travel, I find something I want to shoot.  Some of them may be very touristy, but most are not.  People always say of my photos, "That could be a postcard."  That's really nice, but they don't need my photos!

You would be able to tell something about me as well by the books I collect and the music I play.  When it comes to movies however, I am all over the place!  All you would be able to surmise is either I like everything or a can't settle on just a few kinds of movies.  You might go so far as to guess I am a kid at heart because I have a lot of animated films.  I might seem a bit schizophrenic in my tastes!  You regular readers know that I just plain love movies.  I like a few reality shows and I rent some shows I can't watch because they are on cable.   I may have a good idea for a movie or book, but I have a short attention span!  Hey I even play creative games!

When you walk outside my house except in winter of course, you can't possibly miss that someone is a gardener.  Friends come to our house and say, "You don't garden, you GARDEN!"  I sure hope that's a complement from most of them.  I never ask.  It's doesn't really matter anyway does it?  I'm not going to stop if they don't like it!  Actually most people seem to like it.  Whew!  I feel that my garden is more of an expression of my inner vision.  It's not the dream garden in my mind, but it is very pleasing to me.  I get excited when I see things grow and blossom.  Especially some new that wasn't there before, or flowers for the first time as it matures.  That's all that really counts, now isn't it?!  

If you're like me and have a lot of different interests, being creative opens up your world to many possibilities.  Find one thing that engages your interest and try it out.  Make it your hobby and enjoy yourself.  Life is not supposed to be a struggle.  Take time to stop and be creative!