Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

1.01.2011

Forget New Years Resolutions, Change Forever

o       Lose weight
o       Start exercising
o       Be healthier
o       Spend more time with family and friends
o       Manage stress
o       Stop smoking
o       Get enough sleep
o       Volunteer
o       Learn something new
o       Clean out the garage

Those are some typical resolutions people make for the New Year.  Do they sound familiar?  How about instead of making a New Year’s resolution, make your resolutions for always.  My new plan is to read more.  I had been so busy the past year plus, that I neglected one of my favorite pastimes, reading.   Today I sat down and read several magazines, and I did not just flip through the pages like in the past.   I read the articles.   Next, I’ll be back on to reading books.

Every year we make resolutions and promise ourselves that THIS year it will be different!   I will lose 20 pounds, I will work out, I will eat healthier, I will stop smoking, etc., etc., etc.  Then by the time March comes around, you haven’t lost any weight, you still smoke a pack a day and your treadmill is being used as a coat rack.  Sound familiar? 

I know we use every excuse under the sun.  I can’t quit smoking, it’s too hard; I’m just big boned; I don’t have time to eat healthy.  But you have time to EAT right?  So, did you make a New Year’s Resolution List?  Well throw it away.  I want to help motivate you to change for always.   Not to just make a list of things you will probably never do.

I no longer need to come up with a new list of resolutions.  After making resolutions for over twenty years and never keeping them, I finally did keep my resolutions!   But I didn’t start them in January.  I started them when I knew I wanted to change; in that moment.   When you start to feel bad about doing something, that is when you have to try to change.

I resolved to start working out again, in March of 2008.   I dusted off my exercycle, bought shoes for walking and pulled out some old video workouts.   This time, I looked at new things to do that wouldn’t be so hard with all the extra weight.   I discovered yoga and never looked back.  Now I just cut back at times and mix it up a bit.   But the important thing is I do some sort of exercise several days a week.  I walk several days a week without fail, unless I am really sick, in all weather.   I think I missed only three weeks in almost three years; when my father died and in the worst weather in winter.  It takes little effort to get out there now because I am addicted.  It doesn’t matter if I walk 20 minutes or 135 minutes.  I am walking, get my point?  I rarely get colds or sinus infections anymore. 

I resolved to eat healthier and I still am.   I have more episodes of too much eating, but I also eat better than I have in any 10 year period.  I have made many changes that have become permanent.  I resolved to drink less soft drinks.  I drink less soft drinks than when I was a kid and my mother limited us.  I stopped drinking all sugary drinks.  I only drink water, tea and milk; both soy and 2%.  I can’t stand skim milk, so I made the trade, soy and 2% for full fat.  I drink less milk than I used to, so it balances out.   I thought it would be really hard to stop, but it wasn’t.  I didn’t have to take the Dr. Oz challenge to stop drinking soft drinks.  I did it more than two years ago.  Green or Oolong teas and lots of water are a better substitute for me.   I used to drink only one or two glasses of water A DAY. 

I said I wanted to clean out the closets in 3 of our rooms and one entire room, and I did.   Thank goodness!   I even cleaned out an extra room and a half!   Those of you who read most of the posts know from “Cleaning Up and Simplifying”; that I wanted to be more organized.  I wanted to get rid of a lot of stuff from the past that was helping to clutter my house and my life.  What I didn’t post about; I recently redid my kitchen pantry and put things in containers and reorganized the books and magazines I couldn’t get to in the past year.   I gave a lot away too.  I periodically straighten out my linen closet, which I reorganized before my father’s accident.  I used pretty baskets to organize things.  Now I’m not embarrassed if someone opens it and looks in the closet.  Things that I need to hide are hidden and the baskets give it a neat, coordinated and organized appearance.   I think I channeled Martha Stewart!

I wanted to lose weight and this was the hardest one, but I have and hope to lose more.   I gained about 10 pounds back, but not 70.  That’s the good news.  I was aware of the stress and menopause weight gain and letting myself eat more treats.   I ate a lot more of the healthier foods too.  I can happily report that I still have not been eating much at all in the way of processed foods though.   I monitor my blood sugar every morning, so I know I am where I should be.  I stopped checking the scale in November and didn’t notice the gain as much.  My first indication was a little shortness of breath while walking and bending, before I saw it in my clothing.  I am back on track and lost a pound this week.  Its takes vigilance to stay on and get back on track.  I am not talking about dieting.  I am talking about eating MINDFULLY.  Always be aware of how much, what and how often you are eating.  I also know that if I don’t get to practice yoga most days I have more cravings.  Yoga does something to your brain to reduce cravings.  Thank goodness I meditate everyday.  That is one of the reasons the gain was so small.  Most people who loose a lot of weight gain it all back.  That’s why diets don’t work.   So what’s your resolution?  Is it to lose weight?  Start an exercise program?  Stop smoking?  Eat healthier?  I wish you the best of luck and lots of motivation.   I’ll post something more about loosing weight.