Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

1.20.2011

I'm a Movieholic

Did I tell you I was a movieholic?  I made that word up, I think.   How many people do you know that plan their time around the Oscars and aren't even nominated?  Yeah, there are a few of us out there.   I mean seriously, I don’t throw a party or anything.  But I get my lists ready, rent as many of the nominated films as I can get beforehand and plan my evening.  I take the next day off in case the show runs past midnight.   I need at least 7 hours of sleep.  I root for the movies I like.  But I will watch, at some point most of the nominated films.   Some years I’ve watched all of the nominees.   I like to see why they were nominated and who I thought was robbed or if I agree it should have won.  

I had this rule of thumb when watching a movie.   If it wasn’t interesting enough in the first 20 minutes, I would pop it out.   I had that rule for a long time until I left a movie playing, walked out of the room after 20 minutes and came back 10 minutes later.   It was suddenly interesting, so I watched it.  So now I leave them on just in case, and I do other things if I get bored.  I've cooked entire meals while the movie played in the other room.  There have been a few films with a great last 10 minutes.  They made up for the rest of the movie.  

Now I don’t physically go to the movies, I usually rent them.  I can watch a lot more movies by renting them through Netflix, than I can ever see going to the movie theater.   Sorry local Cineplex.   It’s tons cheaper too.   We don’t have cable, so Netflix is one of my very few guilty pleasures.   It costs as much as basic cable, but I get to choose what I see.  We used to have a family movie night at the local dollar show.   But that theatre closed down.   I like such a wide range of movies, that movieahloic fits.  My husband says I’ll watch anything, that’s not quite true, but it's close!

I took film in college, but not because I was a film snob.  I figured I may as well get a good grade doing one of my favorite things, watching movies!   I got an A in the class and learned some things too.   But what else would you expect of someone who analyzes aspects of a movie; like the set design, sound and camera angles.  I hate those fake driving scenes where the scenery scrolls by or aliens with zippers in their "skin".   

I did see a few of the Golden Globe nominated movies for this year.  The one I really want to see is Black Swan.  I hope it’s half as good as I’ve heard.   I did see Winter Bone, it was kind of good and I thought that Jennifer Lawrence was very good in her role.  The movie is kind of depressing, so keep that in mind if you watch it.  Those are some of the films that usually get nominated too, depressing, talky, real life drama, English and war.  

 I was not into Alice in Wonderland much, even though I love Johnny Depp and it was visually interesting.  But he 's the best thing in the movie.  I mean seriously, I found it a little boring unless he was in it.   

In a good year for animated movies I really liked Toy Story 3 the best.   I would have chosen Despicable Me as my favorite, had I not seen Toy Story 3.  They are pretty close though.  I think it’s the best of the three Toy Story films.  I really enjoyed seeing Woody and Buzz again.  They are like old friends.  You see them every 5 years and it's like they've always been there.  It has a nice wrap up and a sweet message about childhood.  Despicable does have some good fun characters.   Did you see WALL-E?   I wasn't going to watch it because it was so over hyped.  I'm so glad I did see it.  I am a sucker for a happy ending, even in animation. 

I usually  see more nominated films than I did this year, but there’s still time.  I can’t wait to see what is nominated for the Oscars!