Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

3.04.2011

Technology, the Good, the Bad, the Pain in the Neck...

I am very happy and relieved to say that that my new Internet connection is up and running!  Hallelujah!  I did part of the installation myself.  I've gotten really good at installing computer and electronic equipment.  Goodness knows I've had at least four computers crash over the last 18 years.  This is number five.  I'm only on my second printer; thank you HP your printers are great; and my third monitor.  I had a big old bulky box monitor for years.  It took up a lot of space.  I bought a flat screen the minute the stores put them out.  The screen was bigger and I gained a ton of room on my desk.  

A couple of years ago a tornado touched down about a block away and my flat screen and of course the hard drive, (go figure yet another hard drive) crashed.  The surge protector was permanently shorted out, but it managed to at least save the portable television and DVD player/recorder that was also plugged in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this hard drive, three years and counting.  I really like the flat screens, so I got a bigger one so I could see better.  Yeah right, who am I kidding?  I got it because I liked how much more I could see.  

I'm one of the go to people for computer, printer and copier problems at work too.  Except the printer is usually just a paper jam somewhere.  That only requires patience.  Hey wait, that's another thing meditation helps with.  No not meditating while fixing the printer!  The patience and focus you get from meditating people.   

If you work in a large office you might have one of those  great big, heavy duty copiers. When you open one of those monstrosities, you have to open everything looking for a microscopic piece of paper stuck inside!  The darn things won't work until that teeny, tiny piece of paper is removed.  The bigger, the picker they are; and you thought that only people were picky.  I've gotten good at finding those pieces of paper.  It's a challenge, like a difficult puzzle. 

So I really am SO very happy not to have go back to the library today.  As you know, I went to several, trying to find some piece and quiet as I worked and I didn't find much. I did find one library though, that I really liked.  I plan to go back there and sit in the comfy chairs and read.  That was the quietest library I visited in the past 2 weeks, and I went to several.  Mental note,, write a letter to each.  This one was beautiful, and has large glass windows with lots of light.  My kind of place, the more natural light the better.  Perfect for sitting and reading on a lazy weekend.  A plus is that it is open on Sundays too.  Okay, I rarely have a lazy weekend, but you know what I mean.

The computer areas in each of the libraries were always busy.  The one I went to yesterday had 30 computers.  When I got there, there were three other people.  Within 10 minutes of my arrival, all but two computers were in use.  But to do the amount of stuff I do on a computer most days, an hour is only a spit in the bucket of time, in a normal day for me.  Now if I could also manage to master that Blackberry I got as a present...