Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

3.10.2011

Gotta Love the Crazy Weather

We had some wild weather yesterday with lots of rain for hours and hours overnight and then it warmed up.  It was drizzly most of the day.  Unfortunately with the warm up and damp also comes the mold and mildew.  Today it was colder, and there was a little bit of snow on the ground.  Mother Nature Make up your mind please!  There's nothing like unpredictable weather.  Not really winter, not really Spring; ah yes, Spring is certainly just about here.

As much as I love Spring, I don't like the inevitable wetness it brings.  It makes my sinuses go a little crazy.  I had a little headache trying to come on and some swelling in my cheek to remind me that things were rapidly changing weather wise.  Luckily the headache was little and just on and off during the day. The swelling isn't so bad and just hurts a bit on and off.

I've been smart this year and I've been using my Neti pot every day for the last few weeks.  Then I try to sit quietly and do my breathing exercises.  The headache went away for a long time, every time I sat and practiced breathing for a few minutes.  I often do it unconsciously during the day now.  The rush of oxygen helps to get rid of headaches.  Then I do some head and neck stretches
to loosen up.

Part of the reason I had a headache was because I had a tense day the day before and then didn't get much sleep that night.  It was my own fault there.  I stayed up much later than usual and then got up early.  I didn't even get a full six hours of sleep.  I try to always get at least seven.  Forget about eight hours, who has the time?  So it really is more a lack of sleep, post tension headache.

So brace yourself, I'm going to talk about meditation again!  But it does help me  tremendously to reduce stress.  That's why I rarely have headaches of any kind anymore.  I used to get them every time the weather took a turn.  Thank goodness it's helped me.  Could you imagine with the crazy changes in the weather we've had for the last couple of years?  I wouid have had a headache every other day without it.  Or every other hour for that matter!  I don't meditate for stress itself, but it is a nice bonus in how quickly it helps me to relieve it.  I have raging hormones too, so it helps to temper that too.  Those are sometimes much harder to control! 

Remember, I used to have 4 or 5 sinus infections a year.  Past tense, used to.  Ha!  Eating a much healthier diet helps me tremendously.  Believe it or not processed foods contribute to some of these problems too.  And I'm not going to lie to you, I take allergy medication.  I have a couple of severe allergies, but I already told you about that.  It helps, but it doesn't prevent the headaches and infections.  Darn it.  Then my office mate got sick again recently.  It was the second or third time this year that she was really sick.  Guess what?  I didn't get sick any time.  Now are you listening to the healthy diet thing?!

I used to be laid flat feeling sick with the headaches, congestion and sinus infections.  Natural and organic foods can also help protect and prevent things like infections too.  There are foods you can eat to help.  I'll look them up for you and post later.  I've been back on track with healthier eating for the last couple of months, like I was before last November.  My energy level is up again.  Yeah!   I haven't had a cold or anything else since the last infection after Christmas, even with everyone around me getting sick.  Heck I rode my Exercycle yesterday for 45 minutes and I felt a lot better afterward.  No headache, no congestion, no nothing!  I love being healthier!  It's a really good feeling.