Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

3.13.2011

Opening Your Heart Through Meditation

In light of the disaster in Japan; for the last couple of days I have been in a much quieter, meditative mood; even more so than usual.  I've spent some time reflecting on my own life and I've been living more in the moment.  I just went about the days without planning anything in particular.  In essence I accomplished more than I realized.

I've been a little busy putting the word out to people I know to help the people of Japan.  I've made my own donation, modest as it is.  I revisited some of my other charities and I was a little surprised at how many I've given some kind of support.  I like that about the newer me.  I am pleased with the altruism I see starting to come forward from me. 

I started thinking back more on the teachings of yoga when I was studying to learn about meditation and the yogic life.  Things kept coming to me in gentle waves of awareness, especially during meditation.  The act of meditating teaches one so much.  I admire Mother Theresa and Gandhi.  I understand their life's missions much better now.  Faith plays a tremendous part in what they did for others.

One of the most profound things I've gained from meditating and yoga practice, is that I am beginning to open my heart more to others and life in general.  So much more so than I used to, before I became a bit too self centered.

Opening your heart to everything around you, helps you begin to learn as much about yourself as you do about others.  I am a more sensitive person than I was, but not in the sense that you would think.  I am more sensitive to others needs and sorrows than I had been before.  But I'm not so sensitive that I can't function because I become emotionally overwhelmed.  I can see and even feel their pain.  But now I can still think rationally.  It's enriched my relationships.  It helps me to be better at my job.  I don't just get where they are coming from, I feel it now too.

That's the difference in being more mindful.  Oh, I still have my mini freak outs at times, but they are about me.   I mean after all, my hormones are a little crazy right now, just not as bad as they might have been.  It's not directed at others who need my help.  Only people trying to hurt me.  I am working on that too. When someone comes to me with a problem, I can go into solution mode often now without batting an eye.  I am less likely to react negatively and remain calm, unless of course someone is personally attacking me.  I am still working on that.  Life is a learning process.  You learn until you die.

I find that people who truly practice the yogic ideal of life are more willing to help others and be of service.  They want to make more contributions to the world, helping others in whatever way they can. There are quite a few celebrities and famous people who often give much to others.  I've noted that many of these same people talk about practicing meditation or yoga.   The more money they have, the more they give.  But it's the same for all people who practice, rich or poor.  They help in any way they can. 

Namaste