Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

3.08.2011

Parking on Ice

Winter just doesn't seem to want to let go.  There's been frost on the ground every morning for the last several days.  Too bad they woke up the groundhog here a day early, so he just had to see his shadow.  They picked the one day in a 2 week time period when the sun actually did come out.  On the real Groundhog Day it was gloomy out.  Darn it, why can't people stick with tradition?  

At least there have been more birds singing lately.  I can't actually see any of them outside.  It's probably because they are all freezing cold and hiding, but you can hear them.  They have been chattering away at each other and squawking for days.  They're probably complaining to each other that they should have stayed down south where it's warmer.  You can just imagine the leader of the flock telling them to, "knock it off!"
 
The parking lot at work still has snow mounds, even with all of the melting that went on in the last few weeks.  The snow mounds are a lot smaller now and have become ice mounds.  The guy who "cleans" the parking lot left the biggest piles of snow I've ever seen anywhere.  They are a lot smaller now!  But they are still there taking up space.  I put "cleans" in quotations because, it never was exactly clean or plowed well.  
 
There are about 25 spaces in the lot, 6 of them are for disabled parking only and 10 of the other spaces were piled high with snow.  His boss said the lot was plowed when I told her that I had to drive around several times every day trying to find an open spot and then go somewhere else.  I went way the heck out of my way to park.  I could have used a shuttle bus just to get back. But she thought he did a good job.  Yeah, so where do you park?  I'm thinking, as I'm listening to her.   Oh yeah, I forgot.  They save you a space.   
 
I just don't get why the snow was left on the lot, when there is plenty of parkway area to pile it up.  He could have gone out again a couple of days later and cleaned it up more with the plow.  But he didn't do that, did he?  Hmmm.  There's just no use arguing when they just don't want to see your point.  I had to let it go.  
 
Even after the big thaw, you still can't park there because the ice hills are too high.  Or at least most people wouldn't park there.  A guy parked half on and half off a hugh pile of snow/ice.  The left side of his pickup was a couple of feet off the ground.  People who went to park next to him, changed their minds and parked somewhere else.   It looked as if the pickup could almost flip over sideways.  I certainly wouldn't park next to him.  
 
One woman got her car stuck on one ice mound and it took a bunch of people to get her off.  There were 6 guys and another lady trying to help when I pulled into the lot yesterday.  What in the world made her drive up onto an ice mound that high in the first place...,with a compact car, is beyond me.   
 
I shouldn't have laughed but, it was actually kind of funny.  I wish I had my camera with me so I could take pictures and post them.   The front of the car got stuck on this peak of ice as she backed up as far as her car would go.  The front end came up off the ground and the tires just spun in the air.  The people trying to push her off kept slipping and sliding on the ice mound.  It was almost like watching the Keystone Cops chasing a crook or a Three Stooges Routine.   I can hear Curly now, "Wooooooo!!"