Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

3.19.2011

So Long and Goodbye

Today was the kind of March day that you want to wrap your arms around and hug it in.  This was the first day in months I could take a walk and didn't need a ski jacket or had to walk backwards because of a cold wind!  The air was fairly still and it was warm enough to take your time enjoying the coming Spring. 

When I came back there was a party going on, with loud music and people standing around outside laughing and talking.  You see today was the private funeral of my neighbor, who died suddenly a week ago.   My husband said that he always used to say that he wanted a party for his closet friends when he died.  I'm pretty sure he didn't expect to die quite so soon, however.  He was only in his mid forties and hadn't been sick for a couple of years.  His kids honored his wishes and threw him a rocking party for a dozen of his closet friends.  They were outsied in the backyard for hours.  It was kind of like the day was so nice just to help give him a good send off.   It makes you want to smile. 

He lived with his mother, who had died from a long fight with cancer less than two months before.  After she died, I think he felt really lonely.  As much as they argued and fought; and it was a lot because you could often hear them yelling at each other, they were close.  She wasn't hard of hearing either, so the yelling wasn't about that.  We all knew when they had a fight.  So they yelled and then sat and talked outside on the patio.  They fought until the last year of her life, then he tried not to upset her.  They had a great relationship.

He hadn't worked in several years because his personal demons caught up with him.  She was very supportive, but called him on his behavior.  She told me once that she would drive him everywhere when he had his license taken away.  She was proud of him for getting and staying clean, but she would "kick him to the curb" if he slipped.  She felt comfortable telling me a few things, because I didn't tell other neighbors any one's business.  Hey in my work it's mandatory to keep your mouth shut.  But as long as I knew him, I never saw any sign of bad behavior and he was always clean and sober as far as I could see.  

In return his mother was not a neighbor who got into your business, at all.  I really liked that about her.  She never asked me anything personal, an admirable quality.  I am a fairly private person, so I don't ask people personal questions in return.  If they share with me, that's okay, but I won't ask.  I may even tell them they are giving me too much information.  That can mean lots of things; from I don't care, to I don't want to know.   I come from the "Zip it" school of thought.  Keep your personal business and negative comments to yourself.   People don't need to know unless they are part of your most inner circle.   She and I chatted once in awhile, but mostly just passed pleasantries.

We they got their dog, I fell in love with it.  He is a fur ball of love and sweetness.  I would make excuses to go over and pet the dog.  I asked for permission to give him treats.  That dog helped to better bring us together for several years.  We talked more because of the dog.  Funny how animals bridge gaps between people together.  I'm going to miss him too.

 
I just realized that we've seen quite a few neighbors move or pass on in the last few years.  Some were a good thing and others will be missed, but always remembered.