Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.13.2011

Spring and Allergens; Allergens and Spring

Well now that Spring has finally returned to us, thank goodness, what am I going to have to look forward to?  Only the grass getting greener, more flowers flowering and apparently the worst allergy season yet.  Actually every year for the last oh, five or six years "they" have been saying that it's the worst allergy season ever.   At this rate, I should sneeze my head clean off by June!

If it's worse every year, at what point does it become normal?  Hmmm, food for thought.   Spring and allergens come in together holding hands.  So of course, I've had my usual stuffiness, sinus swelling, burning eyes, runny nose and a bit of sneezing.   None of it's been very bad this year and it seems much better than a couple of years ago.  Now I hope I haven't jinxed myself!  But if this is supposed to be my worst year yet, then I'm doing fantastic!  


Isn't it a pity that the most beautiful and magical time of year has the worst allergens.   It's almost like someone decided that our ancestors worked so hard and we were having such a great time frolicking in the blossoms, that they had to throw a curve ball at us.   As life got easier for us and we became more industrialized, the allergens became worse.  Or maybe the people with the worst allergies just died of consumption or something like that.  They didn't know what the heck allergies were back in the olden days.   They probably thought the person was being cursed or possessed by the devil or something.   Hey, I could be right you know! 

Well all I can say is that my allergies are under control and I am doing pretty well, thank you very much.   I've been practicing yogic breathing for so long, I KNOW I've strengthened my lung function.  I only get my inhaler refilled just in case...   I'm optimistic, but not foolish enough to believe I'll never have a bad day again.  

When my father died my health took a nose dive.  That was only about a year ago, but what a difference a year makes.   I really think eating a lot more natural and healthy foods makes a huge difference too.  I'm also avoiding playing in the dirt until it dries up a bit more.  When it rains a lot the mold spores com out dancing at a frantic pace.  

So instead I do a little at a time and then call it a day.  Parts of the garden look so nice.  Others, well lets just say they aren't exactly neglected, but need a major sprucing up.   I start cleaning some of it up in the fall so it's not so overwhelming in Spring.  I bet you didn't known that wet earth can have an obnoxious mold stench.  I didn't either until I dug up a section filled with clay earth.  Yuck!   Wow, that was a shocker.  It was one of the worst smells Ive ever smelled, and I've smelled some awful stuff.   The problem was, I touched it and inhaled it.  So, you guessed it, my mold allergy kicked into overtime.

So this year, I'm going to be more laid back about the garden.  It'll still be there in a month.  It might be a jungle by then...