Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.30.2011

A Tiny Drama

On my walk today I heard a high pitched screaming call.  It sounded like a hurt or panicked animal.  As I walked up a hill I looked around to see what it was.  At first I thought that maybe a hawk had caught another bird.  I don't know why but I was prepared to chase it away to save the other bird.

There were no birds in sight.  I looked around to see if if was on the ground or out on the street.   Nothing, all I saw was a squirrel stop in front of me, look at me for what seemed to be a long moment and then run to the nearest tree.   As I continued on my way, I heard the screech again.

I looked up at a large nest.  It seemed to be coming from there.   I saw another squirrel go to the nest.  My first thoughts were, "What's that squirrel doing in a birds nest?  Is it going to hurt the baby birds?  Do squirrels eat baby birds?" I know, I should know better than that.  But they eat eggs don't they?

The squirrel on the ground climbed part way up the tree, stopped, stared at me and ran back down.  I looked up in the tree when the screeching began again.  There was a mouse on the very edge of the nest screaming and the other squirrel was climbing toward it.  But no, wait a second, that wasn't a mouse!  It was a tiny baby squirrel.   I could tell by the bushy little tail.   Well that really got my interest and of course I didn't have my camera with me!  It was an aaawwwwww moment.  The little one was a tiny baby, so cute.  It wasn't crying for it's mother attention, it was crying because it was afraid.   Oh yeah, I can translate in squirrel... panic and fear sound the same in almost any language.   Didn't you know that?  Well you do now! 

The poor little thing was trembling so badly, it was making it's risk of falling much worse.   But wait, oh no!  It was going to fall!    Now I was transfixed to the spot watching and hoping the baby wouldn't fall.   It was a long drop to the ground.   It probably would have died on impact.  I couldn't bear to see that. 

The adult made it to the little one and struggled to grab it and lift it back into the nest.  I cringed when the baby slid down the adult's back and hung by one tiny paw screaming.   It sure could scream for such a tiny animal.  The adult worked furiously to pull it up.   The baby waved it legs like it was running trying to get back on the adult, as it screamed and screamed.   It was painful to watch, but I wanted to help.   I went into rescue mode.   I held my breath for a moment and then took my jacket off in case I had to catch it with my jacket.   I was determined I would try to catch the baby if it fell.   I wasn't sure what I'd do with it if I had to, but I was ready! 

But that adult squirrel showed super strength and determination and grabbed for the baby.   The baby stopped screaming as soon as the adult go it in it's mouth and gripped it with one paw.  I could almost hear it sigh in relief.   The adult hugged the baby tightly to it's breast and after an effort, it finally got the little one back into the nest.   I don't know where the other squirrel went, but boy did it high tail it out of there.   A lot of help he was.  Just like some people!