Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.20.2011

I Spoke Too Soon

Is it just me or is the weather staying colder later into the spring than usual each consecutive year?  It snowed in part of the area yesterday.   Thankfully it didn’t snow where I live.  I might have had a meltdown.   Ha, ha, ha.  

When I got to work, there was snow on all of the cars.  It was melting, but it was snow.   You know that wet, cold, slushy stuff.  I wasn’t surprised, surprisingly!  This has been one really long, gloomy, cold spring.  The only things that seem to like this weather are the grass and the bulbs that seem to be everywhere now.  Only the flowers on the bulbs don't seem to like it all that much.  They are tightly closed as if protecting themselves from getting wet and  as if they put a jacket on.   A few of then looked like they were hugging themselves to stay warm.

You know, sometimes I feel like I’m only living for the days that it will be really nice out.   Why does it seem that when it’s cold and snowy, that you’re life is in a standby pattern?   Good evening Passengers we are standing by at gate 12 waiting for the entrance of spring.  It’s a jam packed flight and it’s going to be 70 degrees and sunny; eventually; someday.   It's feels kind of like that. 

You can’t really do all of the things that you would like to do, because it’s too darn cold to be outside for long, but you really don’t want to stay in.  It’s a conundrum alright; in, out, hot, cold, rain, snow; pick one.  Then it will change again in a few hours.  

I really want to do yard work outside, but it’s either too cold or it’s raining, or both.  The other day my hands were  so cold I swear they stiffened up and I couldn't open them up anymore.  Yes, I know I could have worn gloves.  If I had thought about it, bothered to get them and put them on.   Go for the middle one; bothered to get them.   I was being a little lazy ans not so bright.   I thought it wouldn't take long and I underestimated just how cold it had gotten.  At this rate, I will get started in June.  I’m usually nearly done way before then.

One day it was 38 degrees.  The next it was 84 degrees!  A day later 60ish and now in the thirties and low 40's again.   I had to dig out shorts and tee shirts, toss them aside again and go back to a parka in a three day span.  Talk about confusing.  

If this is the result of global warming, then somebody needs to get their acts together.   We are killing the land, ourselves, animals, plants and all future citizens of this earth.   They are helping to screw up the natural weather patterns too.  In the South and Midwest there were 200 tornadoes recently.  Normally there are about 80.  That is a tremendous difference, not to mention scary.  

Yes, I pay attention to things like that.  I heard it on the radio driving to work amid all of the pollution from our trains, factories and vehicles.  I drive with my air intake closed.   I'm already breathing in enough junk!