Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.03.2011

Well It's about Time!

Today, was a gloriously beautiful day.  The sun came out mid day and the threatening rain clouds drifted away.  It warmed up for the first time in months to the upper 60's! Yahoo!  These are the kind of days that I live for.   Okay, not live for, but you get the idea. 

It never rained, as it seemed it would from the clouds that gathered for hours and then blew away.  I went out later than usual on my walk.  I really didn't feel like getting wet today.  But I was in a good mood  and it looked like the sun was going to stay out.  I put on my sweatshirt jacket and headed out.   As soon as I opened the door and stepped out, I stopped short.    A wave of warm air hit me.  "Is it really this warm?"  I thought.   I forgot what it felt like, because of the Winter that would never end.  

I couldn't help smiling from ear to ear.  The air smelled clean, like a fresh Spring rain smells.  Only it hadn't rained.   I marveled at that.   The birds were singing, it seems from everywhere.   I could swear I smelled Lilacs, but I think it may have been crocuses.   There were no moldy smells today; and I would know.   I'm allergic to mold and some other things too.   When my allergies act up, I have the sniffer of a bloodhound, or at least a beagle. 

You don't know this, but I can smell grass being cut a half a mile away.   I know that sounds ridiculous.   Seriously, when I was at work one day, I asked my coworker who was cutting grass.   She looked at me like I came from another planet or had lost my mind.   We went outside to get lunch and sure enough, there was a guy cutting grass at a building a couple of blocks away.   Well, at least it proved I'm not crazy or an alien!   The smell had come in through the air intake fans; hey I don't have a smeller that good!

Most people love the smell of fresh mowed grass, but not me.   I need a gas mask.   Funny coming from a gardener, isn't it?   I used to get a headache when too many neighbors cut their grass on the same day.  I would appreciate it if someone created a 'This is the only time you can cut grass'  day/hour.   I would leave and come back when everyone was done.   Instead I have to run in the house and close the windows.   But I can dig in the dirt.  Go figure.