Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.29.2011

Royal Weddings

Any royal watchers out there?  So what did you think of the wedding?  If you are thinking what wedding; you either live under a rock, don't see any media anywhere or just plain forgot.  I didn't get up at the crack of dawn to watch, as I did years ago to see the then Lady Diana marry Prince Charles.  I wanted to see Diana, not Prince Charles, but Diana, Princess Diana as she was known for a time.   I'm sure I would like Prince Charles, we both have a passion for gardening.  But Diana's mere presence overshadowed him.   She was captivating to both men and women.  She wasn't the kind of person who made you feel envious of her.   She was one of us, (although not a commoner) plucked out of no where and placed in a fish bowl existence.   One could see her growing unhappiness through the years. 

Diana had a special quality that made you want to see her, know her and be friends with her.   One of my friends got to meet her for a moment, when she visited a hospital here in the states.   I was always a bit envious of that moment.  My friend who is a nurse, said that she was gracious, poised and gorgeous.   She gripped her hand in a handshake and made her feel special when she said hello and looked directly into her eyes with her sparking blue eyes.  My friend was not a fan, until that moment.  That was part of the magic and charm of Diana. 

She sparkled on her wedding day amid her very obvious nervousness.  Later we would all come to know too much about her unhappy and tragic life and the wonderful bits in between.  Diana will always be a style icon and someone who made being royal seem interesting, but maybe not the greatest thing to be.   It's so sad she didn't live to see her children grow into men. 

I watched this wedding to see Prince William.  After all, I've sort of known him since he was born!   Ha, ha, ha.  Bur I didn't watch at the crack of dawn, but played back a bit later.  William and I share a birthday.  I forgot about that until today.  I didn't take the day off to see it, it just happens to be my day off.   In Prince William, you see glimpses of Diana and Prince Charles.  He looks like a mixture of both of them.   When they kissed on the balcony, a flash of Charles and Diana kissing came to mind.  Isn't it amazing, those famous images just stick in your mind, but you can't remember some of your own great moments?!

Kate is very pretty, and was a beautiful bride.  Her dress was lovey, and more like Grace Kelly's dress than Diana's dress.   Diana's dress was prefect for the fairy tale wedding it was supposed to be.  Kate's dress was prefect for a more mature young woman and these economic times.  It was elegant, classic and not a bit over the top.  Although that is what I expected for a royal wedding.   Good thing I didn't bet anyone what kind of dress she would be wearing.  I would have lost hands down. 

This couple has known each other for years.   They have what appears to be a real and very solid relationship.   In the fishbowl of royal life, William will help guide Kate, the new Duchess of Cambridge.   She will need his help and we wish her well and wish both of them much happiness and love.