Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

1.22.2011

5 Star Movies


With the Oscar nominations just around the corner, I thought that I would share my own 5 star movie ratings.  As a movieholic, I can say I really know what I like and don’t like.   I don’t rate movies based on principles of film making, but on pure enjoyability and then some of those extras.   This is not a completely comprehensive list.  Keep in mind that these are only the films I’ve rated on Netflix, so some I may have given a rating of 5 stars are missing from this list.   I figured that since I have rated about 8,000 movies, since I joined them, I really could come up with a 5 star list and on down to one star rating.  

I have rated a lot more movies as 4 stars than 5 stars, but 3 star ratings outnumber all of the others.   THAT list would be really, really long.   I don’t easily rate movies 4 or 5 stars.   They have to interest me on many levels to get those ratings.   The movies I rate 4 or 5 stars are usually the movies I’ll watch again, or touched me deeply and I JUST sat and watched because I enjoyed them.   (See my previous “I Am a Movieholic” post, I usually don’t just sit and watch.)  

You may be surprised at the range of movies I like.  I am a huge Sci Fi and Horror fan, so you may be surprised I didn’t rate more movies with 5 stars.   But it’s just because I am a huge fan of those genres that I haven’t given more movies a rating of 5 stars.  A lot of movies in those genres were given 4 stars, but not as many as you might think.    There are a lot of clunkers out there!  Read my list and see if you agree or disagree with me.    

Key:  #   I own a copy of this movie and I’ve watched it multiple times.
                  
(In no particular kind of order or preference)

Animation:

#Monters, Inc
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron 
WALLE-E 
Toy Story 3

Comedy:
#Monty Python and the Holy Grail 
#Jumpin Jack Flash 
Young Frankenstein 
#The Burbs  
The Producers
#Too Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Neumar   
Sex in the City: The Movie
Harvey

War:
#Platoon
The Year of Living Dangerously
#The Killing Fields
#Apocalypse Now
#Full Metal Jacket
#Black Hawk Down
#Schindler’s List     
Empire of the Sun
Casablanca

Sci-Fi:
#E.T.
#Escape from New York
#The Road Warrior
#2001: A Space Odyssey
#The Terminator
# Close Encounters of the Third Kind      
#The Matrix
#The Matrix: Reducx
Avatar
War of The Worlds (2005)   
#The Matrix: Reloaded
#Alien
#Enemy Mine
#Stargate  

Drama:
#Amadeus
The Name of the Rose
Braveheart  
Sybil
#Gorillas in the Mist  
Black Widow
Maltese Falcon
Rashomon
#Salvador
#Dances with Wolves
Farewell My Concubine
#Sleeping With the Enemy
Dangerous Liaisons
Curse of the Golden Flower
Identity
Ran
#The Mission
The Passion of the Christ
Philadelphia
Empire of the Sun
Gandhi
Jane Eyre

Action/Adventure:
#Edward Scissorhands
#Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Apocalpto
Escape from Alcatraz

Family:
The Secret Garden
#The Goonies

Fantasy:
Lady in the Water
#Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
#Pirates of the Caribbean:  Black Pearl

Romance:
#The French Lieutenant’s Woman
Strictly Ballroom
#When Harry Met Sally
#Pretty Woman
#Ever After: A Cinderella Story
#Pride and Prejudice
#The Scarlet Letter

Horror:
#Scream 
#Bram Stoker’s Dracula
The Descent
The Thing (1982)