Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

1.06.2011

My Daily Meditation Practice

Normally, I like to start my mediation in silence.  I usually start out in silence, do three part breathing and go into silence to go deeper into meditation.  I will use either the Neti technique to push out negative thoughts or start the breathing again.

I usually don’t chant, especially in the morning, when I practice mouna (silence) until I get to work.   I prefer to be quiet, early in the day.   When I do chant, it does work to help put me quickly into a meditative state and quiet the mind.   I find that I will start out in a regular volume voice and after repeating the whole thing over after about four or five times or so, (I don’t count, but let the feeling take over), I start to whisper.   After I start whispering, I find myself only mouthing the words as I go deeper, until I just go into silence.   This seems to work quite well to go into a relaxed state fairly quickly and deeply.  It also seems to keep me from thinking anything for a little while and then I will use the Neti Technique.

The Neti Technique is not a mantra.  It means I am not that thought.  To practice it:

Think or say neti, neti, neti it means:

I am not this thought
I am not that thought
(Or I am not these thoughts)
I am not thought

Try to practice the Neti Technique at least once a day for a few minutes.  Or use it during meditation to stop thoughts you don’t want to come up.  You may notice that you will begin to have more insight after practicing the Neti Technique every day for a few weeks.  Neti also helps to you develop detachment and helps you to become less judgmental.

As you begin to learn to be non-judgmental, you can start to see the stream of thoughts and you will start to become more centered.  It helps you become more accepting of others and accepting of yourself.  At this point you are starting to break the power thoughts have over you.  More positive, noble and transcendent thoughts start to take over.  

This is why the Neti technique works so well when lots of thoughts flood your mind.  It helps us in going to our higher self. Neti, neti, neti helps you to change.   It helps you to be detached from thoughts you don’t really want to have; the negative or bad thoughts.  You will be able to simply observe the thoughts, find them interesting or not, and tell yourself to deny them and push them out, using neti.

The Neti Technique is simply saying the word ‘neti’, in your mind or softly out loud.  It will help to stop the chatter or negative thoughts in your head.   Neti also works when you want to push negative thoughts out during your day.  Tell yourself “neti” anytime these thoughts pop up and it will help you to be more mindful of not thinking them later.  You can say neti anytime of the day to stop negative thoughts.  Members of my group say they use ‘neti’ all of the time in their everyday life.  I find Neti to be something helpful throughout my day whenever I need it.  It may work for you as well.

If I have creative thoughts, or positive things pops up, I can let them flow a bit and then the quiet returns.  I feel happier and calmer afterward.  I use it to give myself the push I need to do something I don’t really want to do.  I also used it a lot in the hospital when my father was sleeping.  I needed to be able to sit quietly and peacefully on those rare occasions when no one came into the room for an hour.  It really helps me to release the feeling of being pulled in too many directions and to stop worrying about things.   It helped to keep me centered and calm through out the chaos of some of the worse things that happened to me in the last year.  So I guess you could say I am a living testament of how well the Neti Techniques works. 

I find that a simple three part breath meditation, with the Neti Technique is the easiest and quickest meditation for me to find inner calm, or creative spirit that often gets buried by life’s rush, rush, rush and responsibilities.  It helps to slow me down and appreciate what I have, without wanting more.