Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

1.07.2011

Cold Runny Nose

A friend sent me a run a mile a day challenge.  She said the walkers in the group (me) could walk a mile a day instead.  So I decided to take the challenge, since today being my day off, I had intended to walk any way.   I set out and checked my pedometer to see at what mile point I started so I could track my walk.    I wear my pedometer every day; it’s like a body part now.  I’ve even forgotten to take it off and gone to bed wearing it a couple of times.  It’s a good thing I don’t take a shower with my clothes on!    

I knew it was cold out, I mean its winter after all, and it has been cold for quite awhile now.  It looked like there was relatively little wind today.  It felt a little colder today and that little bit of wind seemed to bite at me.   My face became cold very quickly.   I got about half a block away from my house and my nose started to run.   Now I’m not talking about just a little drip or two.   It was more like someone had gone up my nose, installed a water faucet and then turned it on full blast.   The tissue I brought with me was destroyed before I turned back to go home.   My nose never stopped running until I got in the house and blew the rest out.   The pressure in my head was gone and I felt fantastic. 

I had read or heard on some program or other, if your sinuses are draining, that you won’t get a sinus infection.  Well my nose runs every time I’m outside in this weather.  So that has to be good, doesn’t it?   I asked my allergist if my nose running helped as much as draining does.  He confirmed it for me.   Good, I will be out walking every day I can now.   When I walk tomorrow I will bring a face cloth instead of a face tissue.   I don’t want to have to wash my gloves everyday!   

Other than the constant flow from my nose, the walk was a good one.  I had pep in my step that I haven’t really had for a couple of months.  I covered a longer distance than I had been.  So for the first day of the challenge, I walked a little over a mile and a half.  Yes, the cold did help make me move faster, but it also sort of invigorated me too.   I was nice and warmed up except for my thighs and face.  I guess its time to break out the thermal underwear.   

All of this running nose stuff is starting to give me a clue into changes I noticed in the last couple of years.  I used to get 4 or 5 sinus infections a year.  Last year I had only two.   I say that’s a huge an improvement, wouldn’t you?   Hey, I just found another benefit of walking, I could have written for a previous post.   Now I know why I have been getting fewer infections and all I had to do was go for walks in the cold.   

I started walking in this weather 3 years ago.   So it was all the walking in the cold weather and all those running noses.  Huh.   I got healthier because of a cold runny nose.  Who knew?   I will be celebrating every runny nose I have from now on.   This year I’m hoping to go for the sinus infection gold, or clear actually!