Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.26.2011

A Soap By Any Other Price

I purchased some oatmeal soaps some time ago and ran out of them.  I couldn't remember where I got them.  So I did an Internet search.   It's really hard to find a nice, inexpensive hand milled soap.   Some of the soaps cost $8 a bar.   Wow, $8 for a bar of soap!  I had paid about $3 for the other soaps.  In my opinion, that is way too much for a bar of soap.  But you know what, after some reflection I think those soaps are worth it.

Every winter my skin gets itchy, especially when I take a shower.   I itch a bit during the day too.  Does that ever happen to you?   Itched and scratched so much, I have to stop myself or I may start to bleed!  Not buckets of blood or anything, but little spots of blood.

I picked up those $3 bars of soaps by chance.  They smelled really good.  I opened the package to let them air out to last longer.  I read that somewhere years ago, you are supposed to let the soap dry a bit so they last longer or something.  Don't ask me why.  I can't remember that part!   I have Sometimers remember...

Well anyway, I hope that works and the soap does last longer so I'm not just wasting my time, or the soap!   The scent of the soap was so deliciously good, I hated to actually use it!   But I didn't buy it to make the linen closet smell good.  And no, in case you were wondering, it does not taste like oatmeal!   I didn't eat it!  I did get some lather in my mouth when I washed my face.   It tastes like soap, just soap.  Darn it!

Well the bars lathered up, rich and creamy and felt  really good on my skin.  After about a week of using one of the bars, I noticed I wasn't itching in the shower anymore.   Hmmm, no more itching.   Then I realized I wasn't itching at all.  Voila!  I think I found the answer to my itchy problem.   I even used them to wash my face.  Then I ran out.   So I went back to my usual soaps.  The itching started again after a couple of days.   Oh great, now I had to find that oatmeal soap again. 

I figured it would be a cinch to find more.  Huh!  I was so wrong.  I searched the Internet and I couldn't even find someone that sold the same brand!   I searched for a couple of hours trying every version of the name I could.   I searched under the description of the bars.  I figured I could find it using Google or Bing.   Google usually finds everything.   But nope, nothing, nil, nada.   Maybe this was some local soap maker.   I did get it at a shop that sold a lot of stuff to tourists.   I was on a trip when I got it.   Oh well, I was tired of wasting time and comparing hand made soap maker's prices.   So, I ended up buying a more expensive brand than I intended, but what the heck?   I think they are worth it and so am I!  They may cost a lot more than the other soaps, but at double the size of the bar, its almost the same, almost.   The best thing, no more itching!