Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.09.2011

Spring Bursts Through

through What do you like most about this time of year?   Me, well you already know that I like warmer, sunnier days.  But my favorite thing about Spring is seeing the progress of the plants and bulbs in my own and other people's gardens.   There's been a growth boom in the last week or so.   The Forsythias suddenly came into bloom,  albeit late because of the weird weather, yet again this year.   That little touch of yellow just warms my heart.  I have about two hundred tulip bulbs coming up all around the house.   It looks as if a musical conductor said, "When I raise my arms with my baton, up you will come."   And they did!

I sure hope that these late Springs don't continue.  It's a little depressing don't you think?  I can't remember exactly when it was warm in March and stayed that way for more than a week.   Here it is April already and it's finally is going to stay warm.  I think the last time it stayed warm in March, was when I was a kid.

I'm serious!  In the ten plus years we've lived here, it's been colder or very rainy in March.  I remember many a March that was so warm, we had to open the windows.   Guess that means a lot of forests have been cut down, huh?   The deforestation in other parts of the world is supposed to affect us too.   Something about them being a weather buffer.   The Polar ice caps are melting too.  Wait, now I know where all the rain comes from.  Mother Nature
didn't have anywhere else to put it, I guess.   Hey, take it back to the North Pole where you got it lady!   More people need to practice being greener and not green like Kermit the Frog.

Yesterday was in the 30's - 40's and today was in the 60's - 70's.  Talk about a Barometer of change.  Oops, I forgot I wasn't going to write about Barometers again.   If you are a regular reader, then you know what I mean.   One day I'm walking briskly to stay warm and the next I have to take my jacket off because I feel like I'm having a hot flash.  Those of you who have had a hot flash or two know exactly what I mean!  

I'm not complaining or anything, because I've been waiting for the day it would be this warm AND sunny.   Allergies and all I love this time of year.   I planted so many kinds of bulbs last year that there are over 300 or 400 hundred coming up everywhere.   But the tulips are the coolest.   It seems like they weren't there one moment, and then I turned my back and surprise(!) most of them came up over night.   They kind of muscle through the other dead things pushing them out of the way.   They poke through the dead leaves on the ground and rip them apart in their exuberance to grow.  Never thinking to push them aside like the more stately daffodils.   Kind of shocking from such delicately beautiful plants.