Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

4.07.2011

Unprocrastination



Why is it that when you have time off and no where in particular to go, that you find things to do that you wouldn't normally want to do?   Things like cleaning the oven or washing the kitchen floor 3 times when it doesn't really need to be washed.   I mean 3 times in the same week!   Usually I'm a once a week kind of gal, when it comes to washing floors.  Unless there is major spillage or something gross and messy. 

I took some time off, so I could get some rest and relaxation.  Not that I did that.  Instead I found one reason or another to do one thing after another.  I started in the front flower bed, cleaning out the dead leaves and other debris.   Yes, it could have waited for at least 2 more weeks.   It's still unusually chilly for this time of year.   But since I had the time and I was outside….

I don't know what possessed me to wash the floors so many times in one week.  It's not like I don't sweep them every day and spot clean spills.   The floor doesn't get that dirty, especially when my husband works a lot.   He's my biggest mess maker in the kitchen.   He gets a lot done, is a good cook, but he leaves a trail.
The first time I washed the floor was because it needed it. The second time because I dribbled some tea on the floor, cleaned it up and then kept going; all the way into the bathroom and hallway.  The third time, well I can't even begin to tell you why I cleaned again, after I had already swept the floor for the sixth time this week.   Well at least I can say is that it is REALLY clean.   I could probably eat off of it, but who would want to do that!   That's why plates were invented.   I wonder why they named them plates.  Is that another word for discs and where did that word disc come from?  Anyway…

I can sit for long periods of time and do this or that or not much of anything.  Especially if it is something that is very involved.   But it seems, if I have time to just rest and do nothing, I find something to do.   Or make something to do.   I have to remember we all need a "do nothing day".    I've done that before.   I think that's why meditation is so good for me.  Anyone who is really busy needs to sit and be still for awhile   At least I do a lot more things in silence than I used to.   I focus on that one thing.   No more television blaring in the background as I wash the floors.  I find myself being more content while performing mundane tasks and they seem to get done faster, with less resentment.  I used to hate housework.  Now I just intensely dislike it!   Thought I was going to say something else, didn't you?