Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

5.15.2011

How Many Seasons?

It seems as if we are just meant to have strange weather; from the snowiest of winters, to the rainiest of springs.  It's rained and been gloomy so often here that I can only recall about five or six days of sun since the beginning of April.  It hasn't rained every day thank goodness, but it's rained a lot more than in previous years.  I wouldn't mind the rain so much, if it would be sunny for awhile between rainstorms.  Geez!  I'm looking outside, trying to will the sun to come out right now!  Nope, no where in sight...

The positive side of all of this unusually wet weather is the state of the vegetation.  The plants and trees are really lush and green.  You've seen my pictures of the flowering plants.  They are so much fuller and prolific this season.  Now I know why Seattle, Washington has such a great reputation for it gardens.  Their gardens are lush and full of green leaves and flowers from all of the rainfall and fair weather.  I can't exactly say the weather has been really fair here, because it hasn't been all that good, let alone fair!   

Well it has gotten warmer here lately, at least I can say that it has in the last week; its been warmer and hotter, then colder.   The temperatures have been pretty extreme though, as if mother nature is experimenting and can't decide if she wants it hot, warm or cool.  The weather's been all over the thermometer too; anywhere from 40 to 60 to 90 and back to 50 degrees.  It's kind of hard to know what to wear on a given day, unless you have a degree in meteorology!  

A few days ago I had to search for my summer clothes and get them out of my seasonal storage, so I could wear a pair of shorts.  I had to turn the air conditioning on because it was 87 degrees when I got home from work.   It took two hours to get the house down to the upper 70's and get the humidity out of the house, it was that humid.  Two days later I needed socks to keep my feet warm and a sweater, then I had to turn on the heat!  Now I check the weather before I get dressed in the morning, just hoping it doesn't snow too.  I'm just kidding, but you never know!  I don't need clothing for three or four seasons, I need clothing for two seasons; hot and cold!