Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

12.07.2010

If You Plant it, They Will Come

One of my favorite things to photograph is butterflies.  They are so delicate, but yet have so much power in their beauty.  They hover on a wisp of air and dip in and out with the wind.  They can hold their wings still for long periods of time and fly off in an instant.   They captivate with their large colorful wings, tiny bodies and general lack of urgency. 

I like to get as close as possible and watch them flit from flower to flower.  I stand very still and then slowly raise my camera to take a picture.  They seem unconcerned most of the time.  That is when I get my best pictures.  The key to getting up close enough is to be quiet and not make a sudden move.  Walk carefully and slowly toward them; as quietly as possible.  Try not to make any sound.  They react to sound and quick movements by flying away and sometimes hovering up above, until they are sure it is safe to return.  They like to stay in an area that they favor for feeding.  They are also drawn to pink, purple and orange flowers.  The longer I stand without moving, the easier it is for me to get them used to my being there.  Then I can take numerous shots and later select the ones I want to keep.

Also, be aware that you may see many butterflies only when it is sunny out and none if it is cloudy.  They also like to hide in bushes and trees from predators.  If you have plants they like, they will come every day.  Also put out a saucer with cut up orange slices.  They will quickly find your house!  Plant a Butterfly Bush and you will have butterflies in your yard all day.  Put out another saucer with some sand and water or a bit of mud and water.  They love to sip the water.  If you put out a butterfly feeder with sugar water, clean it often.  You don’t want to grow bacteria which are harmful to them.   You will be greatly rewarded for your efforts!

I take most of the pictures in my own backyard.  I planted lots of flowers with nectar that they like and plants that their caterpillars eat; to attract them.  The picture of the Monarch caterpillar in the previous post is from this summer.  I have several Milkweed plants in pink and white.  It is probably the Monarch caterpillar's favorite food.  If you plant Milkweed, and see little black dots on the leaves, don't try to brush them off.  They are probably butterfly eggs.  There were several other caterpillars climbing up and down the same plant as the one in the picture.  But that one particular Caterpillar caught my attention.  It just hung there.   It was suspended from the leave for a long, long time before it turned and crawled off.  A couple of days later, there were no signs of any of the caterpillars.  Of course later in the summer a few Monarchs were flitting about for days on end.  I thought they just might be my caterpillars, blossomed into their final form.  What an intoxicating sight!