Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

12.27.2010

Time To Plan For Next Year's Garden

I always know that it's officially winter when I get my first garden catalogs!  Today I got a plant catalog and the other day a seed catalog.  To be quite honest, I have been recycling most of them.  I haven't ordered from as many as in the past few years, or online.  I usually order from two or three regularly.  I do look at the others, but have whittled them down to a few of the best.   When it comes to plant quality, you can't go too cheap.  You know the phrase, "buyer beware."  I also try to buy as locally as possible, so the plants will do well in our area. 

If you buy cheap, you get cheap; and cheap usually dies.  I have several garden centers I like to visit throughout the year.  I go to two of them several times a year.  Sometimes, I just walk around looking for inspiration.  I just like being around the plants.  But I normally go to the garden centers with plants and a plan in mind.  If I don't, I will spend too much money.

When you like to garden, you are always on the lookout for something to add to your garden or to replace something that died.  This year I bought fewer plants than in the past 10 years.  This is my eleventh year gardening here.  I didn't 'need' to buy much.   I mostly just filled out my pots and hanging baskets. 

I have quite a few pots that get dragged back into the house or garage for the winter.  Many plants will come back in pots if you protect them from the cold.  It saves money and keeps your favorites coming back.  I keep a few under the deck and wrap them in plastic and keep the bases off the cement.  Otherwise, the cement conducts the cold into the pot base. 

The last couple of years I bought several smaller evergreens to keep outside all year.  I prefer to buy plants that are zone 3 or 4 in case we have a bitterly cold winter.  They will survive the cold winds up on our deck, which is raised about 8 feet off the ground.  The higher the site, the colder the wind.   They aren't as protected by the other houses and trees. 

I put them close to the sliding glass doors for protection and warmth from the house.  The doors reflect the sun during the day. The surrounding brick holds some warmth.  I can open the door and water them when it stays dry for more than a week.  That will help them live.  I also scoop up snow and pat in around the base of the plant.  If it warms up a bit, the snow melts and the plants get a drink. 

A blanket of snow helps to insulate plants.  So I don't dislike snow as much as I did 10 years ago.  I understand its purpose better.  I get better plant growth when it snows a lot throughout the winter and stays on the ground for a long time.  Also if you water late in the season, that really helps them too.  My grass greens up faster than my neighbors because I use organic fertilizer during the growing season.  It helps the grass and plants become stronger and have healthier roots. 

After living here about 10 years the garden is more mature and has put out its major growth.  The trees and shrubs may get a bit bigger and wider.  The "bones" of the garden are now in place.  Some plants I divide and put in new spots.  That helped to fill up areas.  I'm at the point that if I make a lot of divisions, I can give plants to friends and family.  They love snapping up the free plants.  My plants are very healthy and do well, so they get a bargain!  I also experiment with cuttings and seeds.  I get some surprises from self seeders that float into the yard or from my own self seeders.  I have eliminated the invasive ones as much as possible.  There are always a few that show up. 

My garden is very stable now and fairly close to what I want it to be.  Of course as a gardener, I am never really done and I might change my mind; several times.  There is always a plant that can be added or a bed that can be changed.  We gardeners just love to fill up space with a new find or divisions of old friends.   So the catalogs help me plan, even if I don't order from them.  They give me ideas and visions of possibilities.