Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

12.22.2010

When a Garden Fairy is More than a Face



I really like this garden fairy, so I am doing another post on it.  I took this picture the other day and really looked at it's expression.  I swear I saw something new this time.  I am keeping it in the house over the winter, tucked into a plant, so that is doesn't crack in the cold weather.  The fairy is made of a plaster and sand mix.  It might not crack, but I prefer not to take a chance.  I attached it to an iron staff, so that it sits about two and a half feet off the ground, when it is in the yard.  I found it in a garden shop that closed in 2008, due to the economy.   It was one of my favorite places for garden supplies and ornaments.  I have never seen another one similar to it anywhere else. 

I like that it appears to have a lot of character.  It has an interesting expression, doesn't it?  It actually appears to change with the angles of the pictures I take of it.  The eyes are very hooded, which gives it a look as if it is keeping a secret, or of knowing something only it sees and knows.  I get that impression also because the eyes look off to the left, away from the viewer.  It has a slightly sly, knowing smile.  So it isn't a happy, smiling or innocent fairy face, but that of a wise woodland nymph.  It isn't a malevolent expression either though, because the lips and eyes are slightly turned up at the corners which convey a sense of humor.  The artist has given it a delightfully wicked, whimsical quality. 

I like to use things that have depth and interest to them.  It makes one want to see and know more.  You have probably guessed that I often like to make the viewer think about the images I post.  To me, a flower isn't just a flower.  It is the continuation of life.