Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

12.12.2010

An Early Winter Storm









I took a walk today hoping the snow might stop or be lighter.  As you can see from the pictures, that wasn't the case!  I waited until later afternoon to go out.  I thought the wind would die down a bit.  For a time the wind picked up and the snow blew harder!  You can see snowflakes flying in some of the pictures.  The wind got so strong at one point, that I had to hold the camera in my jacket hood so I could take a picture.  The wind whipped in my face and my nose ran like I had turned on a faucet.  I must say my sinuses certainly got cleaned out! 

I walk outdoors all year long, so I am used to walking in the cold.  I'm just not used to taking pictures in a snow storm!  As luck would have it, the snow stopped about thirty minutes after I got in, and pealed off my layers of clothes! 

Its gotten much colder though now and I can hear the wind blowing hard.  Thankfully there will be no more snow for awhile.  If it keeps snowing it will be harder to drive around.  There was a layer of ice on the sidewalks and streets today.  One of my safety measures when I know the sidewalks are icy, is to walk on the grass or dirt.  That way, I am less likely to slip and fall.  Falling a mile or more from home isn't fun, especially if you scrape your knees or something like that.  I know from experience; I fell and scraped my knee and had to limp home for nearly two miles.  It took forever to limp home.  Luckily the scrape hurt more than it was serious and it healed quickly.  (That's what being a well controlled Type II Diabetic does.  You heal better and quickly, but you have to be very aware of cuts and scrapes becoming infected.) 

This is my third December walking in all weather, so I've learned how to be more careful of the cold and weather changes.  I always carry a snack bar or two, in case my blood sugar starts to go down.  I wear a down jacket with a light sweater and tee shirt underneath.  I put on one lightweight scarf for my neck and tuck it in my jacket.  Then I put on another and tie it around my neck over my jacket.  I only wear two scarfs when it's really windy and cold. 

I either wear two pairs of cotton socks or one very thick pair.  I wear some sort of long johns for my legs and a stretchy knit pant for better movement.  You want to be able to step over things.  In a stiff pair of pants, you just might not be able to lift your legs too high!  Last year, I bought a pair of heavily treaded, lined winter walking half boots.  They hit about mid calf on my legs.  They are great for walking in several inches of snow and on ice.   When the snow is higher or it is even colder, I have another higher pair of pull on boots, with a faux shearling lining.  They are harder to walk in and not as flexible at the ankle.

I can't wear wool, as I am sensitive to wool next to my skin.  I get a rash or start to itch.  I can handle some blends and very fine knits, but not directly on my torso.  I use a wool blanket, but I have to have something else under it.  It's kind of frustrating, but I've gotten used to being careful.  So I like to wear natural and organic clothing.  I do wear man made things, but mostly below the waist.  I especially like rayon or cotton, polyester, spandex workout and yoga pants.  I live in them.  If they are all spandex or polyester and spandex, they aren't as comfortable to me.  I get too warm; I just like clothes and socks that breathe.  I sound really picky, don't I?  I own a lot of tee shirts and knit tops for comfort.  I walk several times a weeks and like to be comfortable.  I also started using a sun screen year round, although I tend to forget to put in on in the winter.  I forgot today.  Sure I remembered, after I got home and saw the tube on the vanity in the bathroom!

I always wear or bring a faux fleece or knit hat, because you never know when the weather could turn for the worse.  Except of course in the summer, that would be kind of ridiculous!  I fold them up and tuck them in my pocket.  I keep lightweight knit gloves in my pockets, but when it gets colder, I bring heavier gloves instead.  It's not a good idea to walk with your hands in your pockets.  You may need to brace yourself if you fall.  

So, if you live in a warm and sunny location, you can be happy not to have our weather.  But actually, most of the time its not so bad in the winter.  I like the snow after its over and cleaned off the streets!   It is pretty.  I don't mind walking in it at all, but driving in it, now that's another thing!