Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

1.30.2011

Green Tea Sensation?

I was shopping at the grocery store today and went to the coffee/tea aisle to get some more tea.  I saw the oddest thing.  There were 10 to 12 people gathered around a Store Manager who was rearranging the tea shelves.  As I came around the corner I thought, "What the heck is going on?  Why are there so many people looking at the teas?  What's the fuss about?" 

I had tea on my shopping list, so of course I had to check it out. The manager was talking to them and was saying that since Dr. Oz had talked about green tea on a recent show, all of the teas were selling quicker than before.  In my grocery story?  Really?!  Tea, especially green teas moved slower than a snail there before. 

I know that Dr. Oz has been talking about green tea since he was first on Oprah's show, about 3 or 4 years ago.   So why was there all this fuss and talk about it at my store now?   I'm thinking it's the sound of people getting on the bandwagon.  Well good for them!  I have to wonder just how many of them will actually be drinking green tea in a year!

I got closer to try to grab my favorite brands of green tea, because I'm running pretty low.  It was hard to get closer until the manager walked away with several people trailing behind him, still chatting away. 

I looked at the shelves and there were a lot of teas on sale.  But there weren't a lot of green teas there anymore.  I leaned in, looked down on the lower shelf and low and behold, there was a whole new section of organic tea!  It wasn't there a week ago.  Well, now I was thrilled and impressed.   I said out loud without meaning to, "Organic tea, as I live and breathe." 

Opps!  Did I really say that out loud?  A couple of the left over people turned and looked at me.  I just kind of smiled back at them and weakly said, " It's really good for you."

I quickly scanned the new section.  I used to have to get oolong and organic teas online, or drive to a specialty store a distance away.  So you know I was really eager to grab some and check out.  The only problem was it was already picked over!   Darn those get on the bandwagon people.  I spied only one box of organic green and snapped it up.  I practically ran down the aisle to my waiting grocery cart.  I kind of felt like I was making a getaway, because I had
taken the very last box of organic green tea on the shelf. 

I'll be calling the store later to find out when they are restocking it.  I've got to get there before the band wagon people scoop it all up again!