Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

3.30.2011

To Sleep or Not to Sleep

Some times I have trouble sleeping and wake up once or twice or can't really sleep at all.  Then there are the days where I stay up much later than I should and fall asleep, only to get up in what feels like a few minutes.  What I really hate are those interruptions that force you to wake up suddenly.  You know, like the urge to go to the bathroom very badly, or an alarm that goes off at 4:00 am in the morning and you don't have to get up until 6:00 am.  Or a car that blows it's horn outside your window.  Or I should say a careless driver who blows the car horn!
  
I'm usually able to sleep fairly well.   I have been able to sleep better since I started exercising regularly.  I also do some yogic breathing to relax before bed most days.  It's been a blessing, because I used to lay awake many a night without getting much sleep.   I do everything that "they" say you should to help you sleep.  I use a wedge under my pillows to raise my head.  I close the door to keep out the light when my husband gets up before me.  I keep the room cooler over night.   I close the blinds tight and pull the shades down to keep the room dark.   That all really seems to work.   I sleep pretty soundly much of the time.

But then there are the times.   The other night I went to bed and woke up gradually from a sound sleep.  I was in the same position I was in when my head hit the pillow.  I know that because I was so tired I woke up with my hands balled up and holding the blanket rolled around them.  I fell asleep like that when I laid down.  I can always tell when I sleep like a rock and don't do any tossing and turning.  My hair actually looks almost as good as when I went to bed.  I don't mean that it looks really attractive or anything.  No!  I means it looks like it isn't out of place.  You know, like I never moved my head at all.  Normally it's sticking up here or there and in need of a good brushing. 

Another day I woke up clutching a pillow with my head resting on it, on the side of the bed.  Not in the bed, mind me; on the side of it.   How the heck can you sleep like that?!   I must have been awfully tired!

I had trouble sleeping a few days this week.  Then when I finally was getting a good night's sleep, there went that darn alarm clock that my husband forgot to change.  Yep, it went off a 4:00 am again!  It doesn't stop until you get up and turn it off.   It may as well have been a fire engine horn blasting, because I jumped right up in bed.  I went back to sleep almost with seconds.   But man, 6:00 am really comes early...