Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

3.20.2011

A Day Without Anything

There's nothing quite like a day without anything relatively important to do. Don't you just love that word relatively?  It says so much and yet so little.  A day without commitments, no appointments, no place in particular to go.  Just time to play, read or sit and reflect.   

Instead we go scurrying about our day doing this, that and everything.  Even the everyday, common and mundane things become overly important, when we make them.  Taking kids to this or that, fighting crowds at the mall and running errands here, there and everywhere.  It never ends, does it?

I've been trying to live more in the moment.  To experience this moment now.   To not make little things too big or too complicated. You know, not making inconsequential things; well consequential!  I'm also trying not to jam pack my day with things I have to do when I'm home.  It's helping to balance out being so busy at work.  I've gotten much better at leaving work problems at work. When I get home I go into 'I'm home mode'.  

So every once in awhile I just try not to do anything in particular at all.  Today I sat and did a couple of crossword puzzles in the morning and then watched a movie.  I put the dishes away and I took a walk after lunch.   Boy did that feel good.  I didn't feel as if I had to clean up, do laundry or anything because I did it yesterday.  Today was just about being lazy.  But it isn't really lazy is it? 
I like to think of it more as an emotional health day.  You know, just doing what happens at that time and concentrating only on it.  I don't have to think too hard or get upset about something that is really silly in an after thought kind of way anyway.  Then I move on to the next thing.  But in a no rush, no hurry, whenever kind of way.  It's not that I don't think about what I am doing, I do.  I am totally in the moment of what I am doing and then move on, or not. When I water the house plants, I don't just water them.  I look them over, caress their leaves to see if they are healthy and YES, I do talk to them sometimes.  Sort of.  It's more of a discussion with myself thing.  "You look a little dry today."  Or, "Why are those leaves turning yellow".   I 'm really just saying it to myself.   For me it's soothing, calming and peaceful.  

I find that with these kinds of days, I feel more content and at peace much of the time.  Except at work, because... well because it's work!  Which in turn helps me to feel that way more of the time the rest of the day or the week.  I wish I had discovered this giving myself permission in not having to do anything particular time much sooner.  I'd be very zen like.  But that's okay.   I have it now and I'm keeping it!