Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

11.14.2010

Paying It Forward

Quite some time ago, I decided to make a point of thanking people who gave exceptional customer service.  Later on, I also included those individuals who are very friendly and helpful.  They are the kind of people that may not give exceptional service, but are exceptional in their attitudes. 

You know those people, the ones who help you with mundane services, but have an exceptionally great attitude.  They can make your day.  For example, I recently had a rough week at work.  I was not in the best of moods, yet if someone said or did something nice for me it brightened my day.  It didn't take much to lift my spirits, because I am more aware that the simplest things matter.  Good relationships help quite a bit and a kind word goes a long way. 

I had to call about a new credit card that was supposed to be sent to me, to replace a lost one.  It didn't arrive as promised.  The person I spoke with after several other calls, looked everything up and said, "I see your problem. The order was placed at the cut off of sending it out next day priority."

I could have easily excepted that explanation, but she went on to say, " I am so sorry.  They should have told you that when you called."  She meant what she said.  I could hear and feel her sincerity.  She put me on hold, and went to check that the shipment was made.  I was on hold about two minutes, yet she apologized profusely for making me wait so long.  That's an exceptionally nice person.  I thanked her profusely for caring and being so nice.  I went on to add that I knew these calls were recorded.  I wanted it noted how genuinely nice she was.  I told her it saved that account from being closed.  You see, she was fourth person I had talked with.  I told her, " it looks like the fourth time is the charm.  You are a great representative of this company."   I could almost hear her blush. 

So every time I run across someone this nice and helpful, I tell them so.  I may write a note, send an email or ask for their supervisor.  That is the way to ensure that they get, and feel credit for a job well done.  Or at the very least they can continue on with the day, with a smile on their face.

I try to find something to connect with the person.  I may complement them on something or gently joke with them.  A young man I spoke to about my phone service was so polite, I told him he had beautiful manners.  He told me that was his parents doing.  I said, "they raised you well."

You get the point.  Say it if you mean it.  It works very well when you really mean it.  Why not try to make their day better?  In doing so, you also make your day better as well!  Why not have a positive interaction, instead of a negative one?