Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

11.24.2010

A Day of Thanks

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the States.  It is usually thought of as a day of bounty, love and time with others.  I was given a cake yesterday that was a lovely surprise.  Then our company gave out pies.  I passed the pie on to someone who would enjoy it more than I.    We used to get a turkey every year and I would pass it on in a fake "raffle"  to one of the neediest patients.  I made sure it was a different patient each year.  We fixed the raffle so that someone who couldn't afford to buy a turkey would "win".  I never told them it was from me.  I didn't want them to be grateful to me, because the giving wasn't about me.  It was about giving to someone deserving.  We just want them to feel good. 

This year I am disappointed that this is the second year in a row that none of the staff has contributed to the Holiday food pantry.  Does it speak more about the economy or about the state of their attitudes?  Last year perhaps it was the economy.  This year, I'm not as certain.  Even in trying times there is always someone worse off than ourselves.

Over the year I collect hats, socks, gloves, hand lotions and other things to give as gifts for prizes and Christmas raffles.  I look for special sales, nice things at the dollar stores and casts off from friends who get gifts they can't use.  There are many people that have no family and very little money to buy things.  Some of these small gestures may be just the thing someone in need can use.  Earlier this year I received a winter jacket by mistake in an order.  It was so inexpensive, I decided to keep it.  I paid for it so I could give to someone that I knew could really use it.  It still had the tags on it when I gave it to her.  I told her it was an anonymous donation.  She wore it home that day. 

A small act of kindness, without the expectation of thanks is truly an act of selfless giving.  The giving is then not about you, but simply the act of giving.  Try to practice a little selfless giving.  You may feel so good about it, you will want to do it all of the time. 

On a more personal note, tomorrow is the first Thanksgiving without my father.  I am wishing you blessings on this day made for family.  Reach out to your loved ones.  You may not have that chance for long. 

Namaste