Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

2.24.2011

Black Swan - Review 5 Oscar Nominations

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actress
Best Cinematography
Best Film Editing 

This is the last of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture.  I saved it for last, because this is the one I've been waiting to see.  I wasn't at all unhappy that I saved it for last.  


I wonder if during the making of "Black Swan", Director Darren Aronofsky got chills up his spine while directing his star.  I have one thing to say about this film; Natalie Portman.  Natalie channels the madness of the Black Swan character as Nina with such force, that you can see it in every fiber of her body.  She is the movie, she enhances it and she is stellar in her role.  If she doesn't win Best Actress I will be completely shocked.   I am not going out on a limb to predict her as the winner.  Yes, I know all of you Nicole Kidman fans, Nicole was very good and you want her to win.  But she has already won best actress and the academy will prefer to give it to a new person.  Natalie is going to be hard to beat anyway.  


I believe that Nina is the role of a lifetime for Natalie and that she was born to play this part.  She appears to be every inch the prima ballerina she portrays. Everyone in the cast helps to round out this fascinating tale of a dancer's path into madness.  The cast includes Winona Ryder, Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey and with a glaring omission for best supporting actress, Mila Kunis.  Mila is excellent in her role. 

I liked the costumes and music.  They add to the drama and feel of the movie.  However, they were not nominated for awards. The film did get nominated for Best Cinematography and Film Editing.  The film is beautifully filmed and edited and it could well win one of these awards.  It is filmed in a documentary style, and is very powerful.  I have to think about who could win these 2 categories.  This will be a close race among several films. 

Although I am a fan of this type of thriller, I am not predicting this film to win.  I still think the general consensus is that "The Social Network" will win.  I agree that may be the case, so I am also choosing it to win.  But I loved "Black Swan" enough to see it again and added it to my Netflix list.  It definitely is worth a second look.  Take a chance and rent it when it comes out on DVD.  I don't think you will be disappointed.  


Rating - 4.5 stars