Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

2.03.2011

After the Big Snowstorm or Snowsapalooza






As you can see by the pictures, there was quite a lot of snow left by Snowsapalooza after it was all finished.  I measured it at it's lowest point at 18 inches high.  The drifts are another thing however.  I walked into one that was 4 feet high and 20 feet long in the backyard.  I went around the neighborhood and took a few pictures.  It's too cold to stay out for very long.  I am happy to say however, that the sun is still shining today.  That kind of makes up for all of the snow, but only just kind of makes up for it.  

People who live in places like Minnesota, upper Michigan and Wisconsin, say they are used to snow like this.  Oh really, I'm sorry, but I'd rather not get used to that kind of snow!  Once every 10 years or so is more than enough for most of us.  I will no longer complain when there is 3 or 4 inches on the ground.  

I tried to go walking, thinking it would be okay and that most people had shoveled their way out.  Well, I was wrong; wrong, wrong, wrong.  I had to walk in the street much of the time.  Many people did clean up, but at the houses that didn't, the snow was difficult to walk through, not to mention those huge drifts.  The snow was stuck to some of the houses in the oddest places, because the wind had been so strong.  Just look at the picture with the white wall of snow stuck to it.  I thought that was kind of cool.

That poor little shrub barely sticking out of the snow in the first photo; I planted last fall.  I started to dig it out, and I became too exhausted, not to mention that my hands were freezing.  Side note; I wasn't using my hands to dig!  I will dig some more later. 

It was very encouraging and really nice to see people helping each other out.  Neighbor helping neighbor.  Some people went up and down helping to blow the snow off the driveways and sidewalks at several houses.  The mail carriers will be happy and us walkers too.  In fact, we didn't have any mail delivery at all yesterday.  The local post office was closed.  Whatever happened to neither snow nor sleet or rain, the mail must be delivered?  Come on, the pony express had it much harder.   No, seriously, I wouldn't expect them to try to delivery mail in those  drifts and this cold.   The "best mailman in the world" was out today delivering mail.  He's a trooper.  He  went to work earlier to make sure we got our junk mail and bills!  I'll try walking again tomorrow.  I don't expect much more to be cleared, but at least the streets are available.