Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

2.17.2011

Spring is Around the Corner!

The mountains of snow are melting down and soon will be gone!  In their wake are huge puddles of water and tiny streams rushing into the sewers.  There is still enough snow on the ground to make it hard to walk where its not shoveled.  The melting snow has that gritty quality it gets when it is mixed with dirt from the ground.  The grass is soggy and sort of brownish green.  It hasn't seen the sun.  There's been a covering of snow for quite a long time.  It needs a little boost from the sun.  

The solar lights, long covered by snow have been lit for a few days.  Some of the lights are barely visible in the snow, so that the snow appears to glow from within.  A week ago, you would have never known there were any lights at all.  I managed to dig out my new little shrubs a bit more last week.  Yesterday they were emerging from the whiteness, as if making a debut.  "Here we are," they seemed to say.  Yes, my little ones, there you are.   So nice to see you again!  I forgot just how small and lovely they are. 

I know it is only the middle of February, and it could very well snow again tomorrow.  Today's forecast is predicting warmer weather and that's a very good thing. The weather can change in a snap at this time of year.  But for now, it was nice yesterday and even though I had to climb over piles of snow on my walk, at least I could walk a lot better than just a couple of days ago!  I didn't need to wear gloves or a hat, but I wore a hat to hide my hair because it needed a bit of a wash!  I almost unzipped my winter jacket as I was carrying my groceries home.  Even the gloomy sky couldn't dash my good mood.  I was too happy with the anticipation of spring on the horizon.  

Ah Spring!  Spring brings out the child in my heart.  I'll be sitting down with my gardening catalogs tonight and picking out a couple of new friends for the garden.