Smokey Mountain Memories

Smokey Mountain Memories
A Little Slice of Heaven

2.10.2011

Best Visual Effects Iron Man 2, Alice in Wonderland and Inception

If you are a regular reader of this blog you have already read my post on "Inception", which is also nominated for best visual effects.  You also know that the visual effects and the scores in my opinion are the stars of the movie.  The effects are really good, some of them I've seen before quite a bit.  However, there are a couple of stand out effects that made me sit up and take notice.  They are of course the floating sequences, folding buildings, and the crumbling city, with the houses in the water.   Otherwise all of the effects are good and enhance the film.  I rented Inception and went back and watched the floating sequences again.  Then I watched the last hour again.  It's a great movie if you like suspense and a lot of action.  I have an affinity for special effects; the really good ones. This film has really good special effects.

Rating - 4.5 stars

"Iron Man 2" is a fairly good sequel and has great special effects.  The fight scenes with Mickey Rourke are loads of fun.  The Iron Man suit and what it can do are a kick too.  The story is fair, but not a good as the first film, it appears to have the curse of the sequel.  The actors are good, except for Mickey Rourke who is great as a total psycho.  He really seems to get into his character and have a lot of fun with it.  He helped the movie go from okay to good.  I think this nomination for Best Visual Effects was well earned. However, this movie is the special effects.

Rating - 3 stars

Although I found the movie, "Alice in Wonderland" disappointing, the effects are very good.  It is also nominated for Best Art Direction.  Both of The nominations were well earned, but to me they really didn't save this movie.  Even the wonderfully talented Johnny Depp couldn't save it.  Perhaps if the Mad Hatter was in most of the scenes maybe...   Depp brings so much to each of his characterizations that he often becomes the focal point of a movie.  When he wasn't in it, it just wasn't all that interesting.  I usually love Tim Burton's work, so perhaps I was expecting too much.  This film doesn't come anywhere near the innovative and delightful, "The Nightmare Before Christmas."  It earns the nomination, I'm not too sure if it would win.

Rating - 2.5 stars

I'm betting that the Oscar goes to "Inception".